Club began on March 16, 1956.
Chartered on May 7, 1957 as the "Tomahawk Lions Club" with 29 members.
Lenexa Lions Club sponsored us.
Charter night was on May 18, 1957 at Milburn Junior High.
We were one of the first, if not the first, clubs to meet in the morning for breakfast. International even sent back our application with AM "corrected" to PM.
Our budget for community services in 1957 was $1,305.
Sponsored Prairie Village Lions Club - February 1958
First eye glasses for local students were provided in 1959.
Activities included Kansas Tornado Relief, startup money for the Shawnee Mission hospital, and sponsorship of a 3/2 baseball team.
Club meetings where held at Glenwood Manor and board meetings were at board members homes.
Had pancake days fund raising events
"Mystery Lion" concept started. The Mystery Lion won a "free" breakfast for the next meeting (usually accompanied by a large fine by the Tailtwister).
Individual club member point system used to encourage participation and determine the "Lion of the Year".
Stealing other clubs' bells during a visit to that club required that club to visit us in order to get their bell back. At one meeting we had four bells besides ours...
Started the annual Easter Egg hunt in 1962
Began ringing bells for the Salvation Army in 1963
Metcalf Avenue of Flags -
Sponsored Overland Park Evening Lions Club - July1967
Sponsored Overland Park Noon Lions Club - 1968
Frank Piepenbring - District Governor - 1971-1972
Club banner purchased in Spring of 1972
125 flags as of May 1972
Number one contributor to the Lions-Optometric Center in KCMO for several years,
Steak dinners at Shawnee Mission Park
Newsletter named "Lion's Briefs" for a period of years.
Won the district governor's point contest 3 years in a row
Held annual Spring Golf Tournaments
Participated in Overland Park and Lions Convention parades
Hosted 1975 State convention - Glenwood Manor
133 Flags as of May 1975
Gave $3,925.88 during 1975-1976 with budget of $4,550 for the year
Collected $562.04 in Dec. 1976 for Salvation Army
Had a float in the 1976 American Royal Parade
Gold Coats as the club's official Lions Jacket in Feb. 1976
Ed Ashburn began his long tenure as the club's Treasurer 1976-1977
Sponsored Overland Park Host Lioness Club - 1977
Casino Night at the old Glenwood convention Center
Kansas State School for the Blind Endowment Fund - 1983
Newspaper Recycling - daily stacking of papers via club member rotation. Goodyear at 95th & Metcalf.
Jim Goudelock - District Governor - 1991-1992
Aluminum can collection and recycling - Jim G./Joe E./Don P.
Garage Sales with merchandise from House of Lloyds - Lionesses
Lion Art refinished antique school chairs and sold them as a fund raiser.
Sight Bus (Mobile Screening Unit) funding and use
Kansas Lions Ties - provided funds for the Sight Bus
Lions Field at Kansas State School for the Blind
Started support of CCVI - Children's Center for the Visually Impaired
PDG Jim Goudelock was awarded the first Claude DeVorss Fellow
Eye tissue transport for the Kansas Eye Bank
Kansas Lions Audio Reader program
1998 Endowment fund established - John Theison
Hosted State Convention 2000
Expanded flags south of I-435 - Kent Sherman / Masoulfs
Downtown OP Clock Tower Benches - 2003 - Art
Deanne Rose Children's Farmstead - Audio Domes - Art
Deanne Rose Farmstead - Braille Signage - 2007 - Art/Bill
Won several basket and flower arrangement contests at state and district conventions.
Metcalf Avenue of Flags over 450 flags
New fund raising endeavors
As of tonight we have:
We celebrate our 50 years of service to our community, state, and to those in need.
|| Meetings | Board | Calendar | Community | Fund Raising | Toast | Honors ||